Thank you for your interest in applying for a volunteer position with Buckelew Programs Suicide Prevention hotline.
Accredited by the American Association of Suicidology, as a member of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline network, the hotline serves four counties (Marin, Sonoma, Mendocino, & Lake). Our lines are available 24 hours per day year-round: Marin County’s local suicide prevention line, National Lifeline, North Bay crisis line, and the Grief Counseling line. Callers’ needs vary, from emergency services to strengths-based emotional support.
- Free 40-hour training program via remote and in-person learning in Novato
- Active listening techniques
- Non-judgmental, empathic communication skills
- De-escalation techniques
- Collaborative safety planning
- Evidenced based early intervention strategies
- Grief counseling
- Open to all individuals 18 years old and older
- Acceptance in program (application and interview) and completion of 40-hour training required
- Supervised apprenticeship following training
- Availability: at least one 4-hour shift per week for one year
- Direct supervision provided by Buckelew senior counselors throughout training
Thank you again for your interest and we look forward to meeting you!